Fiancé Visa

A K-1 visa is issued to the fiancé of a U.S. citizen, so that the fiancé can legally enter the United States to get married.

The process can be quite lengthy and can be a bit complicated.

  1. The U.S. citizen first files a petition to have the foreign citizen acknowledged as their fiancé.
  2. The USCIS will conduct a thorough background check on the fiancé and require documentation to prove the relationship is bona fide, or legitimate.
  3. If approved, then the foreign fiancé will be allowed to file an application for their visa and provide the necessary documentation, take a medical exam, and interview with the U.S. Consulate located in their home country.
  4. If approved, the foreign fiancé will be allowed to travel to the U.S. but will have to undergo inspection at their point of entry.
  5. If granted entrance into the U.S., then the foreign fiancé has up to 90 days to marry the U.S. citizen who initiated the process or leave the U.S.

Once the marriage has been finalized, then the couple may petition for conditional permanent residency status for the foreign spouse.
Due to the amount of time and necessary documentation, it can be beneficial to have an attorney at your side to ensure that everything is properly filled and filed on time. Errors in filing can cause, at best, a delay in the visa application, but at worst, a denial.

Schedule a Consultation

Get in touch to schedule a time to speak with our team.